Thursday, September 28, 2006

Bard Day

Bah! Much to my grumpiness, I was 14 min into writing this post when the computer I was on decided that it had had enough and went foetal. hmphk. So, I reprise:

When last I left you I was halfway through decribing the British Museum... Africa was a definite highlight, as was roaming about the Museum saying 'Africa is downstairs, Islam is over in that corner, Asia is through there and England is upstairs' - a kind of hyper-abbreviated world travel experience. Most people would tire of the amusement provided by this, I, however, am not most people, and it made me giggle the whole time I was there. You must be sad you didn't get to go with me!

Unfortunately the bog body display was shut, which, having to sit through the video at school in year 8, I felt I was entitled to actually see, seeing as I still have a dim recollection of what his last meal was... Anyway, we flitted through Asia, and then to the shop! An excellent museum shop! Lots of books, but lots of fun museum crap that is the junk food of the Educational Experience. Then to lunch, and shopping in Covent Garden - mmm so many shoes!

After that, a brief collapse, then, in sterling decision, to the Diana memorial! There were a few glitches of map reading at this point, largely surrounding the size of Hyde Park, and also some of the fine print. So we walked past the Diana memorial fountain, in the belief that it was just the 'memorial fountain' not the 'Memorial', and not feeling like pausing for reflection beside the trickling waters, in consideration of our bladders. We powered on through the park, ending up somewhere quite different to where I thought we were, and able to fully appreciate the size of the Park, which is, technically speaking, feckin' huge. Then, on to what we thought was 'The Memorial' which turned out to be the 'Princess Diana Memorial Playground' - not quite what we had expected. But very elaborate, very fun, and very closed after 6pm. Make sure you go in daylight, if you are seven years old, and in search of diversion in London. We did get to see the elven oak however. Although it is behind bars, which is sad. No wonder the little elves didn't move very much.

Then it was Thai time, then bed time, then up the next morning to move hotels, (well, hostels, I've downgraded :( ). Then to the V&A! Again! And I still haven't seen all of it. The highlights this time were the William Morris exhibition, the Great Exhibition of 1851 exhibition (ghost of essay past), and sharing with someone the amusement at the faux David's wardrobe.

After that, we collapsed again. I saw My friend from Norway off to meet her flight, then headed off to my new abode in Bayswater. Not feeling like hanging around in the delights of a youth hostel, I decided to collapse at the cinema, and staying near Kensington Palace (which has to be one of the most boring looking excuses for a 'palace' ever: if you are going to be a princess you should at least have turrets! Surely.) I decided it was only appropriate that I should see 'Queen' - Helen Mirren is brilliant as the Queen, I thought that the characters of Charles and Philip were a caricature more than a characterisation, and then I realised that Charles and Philip pretty much are charicatures of themselves in real life, so it was entirely fitting. The same went for Tony Blair too. I was amused by a few of the asides in the film - at one point Tony is striding out of a room and 'Gordon' calls - Tony keeps striding and shouts over his shoulder to tell him just to 'hang on' - don't know if you've seen quite as much press over the tumult regarding the leadership of the government in England, but v. amusing.

Tuesday was Tate Library again, Judas and Thomas v. excited to be sitting down. Library was good, tracked down some exhibition catalogues. Tate library has worst photocopying restrictions in the entire world, and don't let you take photos. Grrr. Anyway, I then rewarded J&T for being good feet, by buying them new shoes, they now have the air cushioned comfort provided by our old friend Dr Marten. Shoes that don't leak!

The next morning I demanded that J&T respond to my kindness by going to see the British art exhibition at the Hayward Gallery - this had lots of stuff from the period that I am interested in, but was largely oblivious to the stuff that I am interested in - but v. good for the larger context. And for the opportunity to see two bmw engines dipped in copper sulphate until they were covered in electric blue crystals - excellent! V. Warhol. And they were having a catalogue sale!

Then, to the Globe! Most excellent, went and saw the 'Comedy of Errors', went for the £5 standing ticket, so had the experience of the original cheap-ticket audience of standing right in front of the stage, under the open sky, surrounded by the thatched tiered seating. Was an excellent performance, they played the farcical elements to the hilt and added some histrionics, v. funny. Enjoyed it so much that my idiocy took hold and I bought a ticket for the evening show of 'Antony and Cleopatra'. Killed some time between them by visiting the Tate next door (mmmm Rothko) and then back for more standing in awe of the Bard. Cleopatra was performed very well, and Caesar also excellent- and especially the moment when during a spot of vigorous drunken dancing Agrippa lost his character and shouted 'OH MY GOD' because he almost clouted the front row of the audience with Caesar.

Anyway, my feet feel that the shoes were a bribe.

Am off to interview someone this afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel concerned that i now know more about your feet than the actual people that your feet transport you to interview!? i think you should rectify the situation, and at least introduce your feet to some of the locals so that they will feel more a part of the team, rather than just enablers to your british galavanting!!!

i tell you this for your own good - cause if you call me at 3am crying about how your feet have up and left you and now its just stump 1 and stump 2 that are parading you thru paris... i will be horrified (for the french) and completely unsympathetic (because im just mean that way!)

peace out (thats what all the kids are saying these days!)

Nerd_safari said...

Hmmm, Thank you, I appreciate your concern, and the wisdom of your advice. And it's possible that you have found me a way to get a room to myself no matter how busy the hostel: 'Good to meet you too, I'm from Australia, I'll be here a few days, and these are my feet, Judas and Thomas, say hello boys'