Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Goat in Shoes

... is my favourite name for a pub thus far, amid some strong contenders.

You know what's cool? Brompton Oratory. It's cool because its a twelfth century church (the oldest Catholic church in London) that has been continually been used up to the present, and continually had decorations added, creating quite the melange of period styles, AND because Nick Cave wrote a song about it, called, wait for it, 'Brompton Oratory', and now I've been there! Geeky fandom joy! When I first saw it it took me a couple of days to place why I knew the name - no, not because of some art historical or just plain historical awareness on my part, but because I'm a Nick Cave tragic (or connoisseur, if you prefer, as I do).

Since I left you last I have visited Portobello Rd Markets, and Notting Hill in general, as I found the long way there - the ability to retain a mental image of the map you've just looked at is one that I'm growing increasingly desirous of - there were no sightings of Hugh Grant, as, sadly it seems that he choses not to inhabit his fictional characters until I visit them - strange, yet true - but the markets were cool, lots of clothes, antiques, (vintage jewellery.... urragagrrrrh... sorry, just choked on my drool, have cleaned myself up now. Wow is no one going to use this computer after me though). I think I also saw someone famous, don't know who, although he had lovely hair, but the people nearby were whispering to each other that they should go ask if they could take a photo. Possibly they just liked his hair too. Then I went and saw Little Miss Sunshine, don't know if that is on in Australia at the moment, but if/when it is, go see it, funniest movie I have seen in I cannot recall how long. And now that I've said that, there'll be NO chance of it being a let down.

On Sunday I went to Tate Britain, and, being an idiot, I thought I would walk there. I did have a lovely walk up the King's Rd and through an extended Pimlico tour (map memory lack again) but by the time I got there my feet had composed a new song for me, it goes to the tune of 'wind beneath my wings' but they call it 'have we ever told you how we loathe you / you are the burden on our soles' - I think they are going to try and get Bette to sing it and use the royalties to divorce themselves from me. Anyway, some excellent shopping on the King's Road, the best vintage clothing store I. Have. Ever. Seen. And had a shop that has green seude boots *sigh*.

Tate Britain redeemed me for missing the Turner exhibition when it was in Australia a decade or so ago, they have an excellent several-rooms dedicated to him so it gives a great sense of his development as an artist and how he became the best-dang painter of fog there ever has been. The rest of the galleries, aside from their temporary exhibition spaces, give a general overview of British art, with, in my completely balance view point, too much with the Pre-Raphelite Brotherhood, and not enough with the 1950s & 60s. In addition, because there are mostly only paintings displayed, it misses a lot. But it was excellent to finally see this, for example.

Then, in another instance of foot-cruelty and map-ineptitude I floundered my way, via the Thames, to Westminster Cathedral, which isn't particularly attractive (comparatively speaking) on the outside, but on the inside I really like it, as the ceiling is blackened, and very high up, you can't really see it, so it just sort of disappears into nothingness, from which a huge painted wooden crucifix emerges. The Cathedral turns out to be Catholic, which I had never absorbed before, but it does explain the Mystery of Why There Are Two Westminster Churches, beyond my assumed explanation of It is To Confuse Me.

After that I had dinner, and promptly set off in the wrong direction to catch the Tube back to Earl's Court. My feet are working on some harmonies for their song.

Today I had to interview someone over in Camden, so caught the Tube to Regent's Park, walked through there, even taking photos so the Gardening People can enjoy them, and afterwards walked back, taking photos of animals through the fence of the zoo. Didn't think I would take photos of emus while I was in England.

Then, to revenge myself upon my feet for getting Wind beneath My Wings stuck in my head, I decided to walk to the Royal Academy of Art, which I did, via New Bow Street (I think) which had the most £££ label shops I have ever seen on one street before. I feel that my temt shirt stood up beside Prada et al. hem. Anyway, what took me to the Royal Academy was the Modigliani exhibition, which was excellent! I drooled so much I got dehydrated. Metaphorically. I hadn't seen more than one Modigliani piece at a time before, so it completely shifted my appreciation of him to see how his work changed over time, and in response to the different people he painted.

Other obsevations:
More people own dogs in England than I would have expected, had I formed an expectation about this.
It is really hard to buy a sandwich in England that does not involve mayonnaise. Who knew an entire country could all agree on one condiment?
It's difficult to buy almost anything from a shop that isn't part of a chain.
I have clean clothes! I found a laundromat, joy of all joys! Although I now have clean near skinny leg jeans, after the enthusiastic reception they received from the industrial dryer.
The weather is still good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm starting a petition to have your feet accepted as a late entrant to Australian Idol - KM