Friday, March 09, 2007

On things that amuse

There is something odd about laughing out loud - and I mean loud - when you are alone isn't there? There you are, maintaining a largely internal dialogue with the world around you, and then an ad comes on television, declaring that a one kilo block of cheese is 'Great for School Lunches!'and you fine yourself bleating with laughter. Oh the image of an eight year old opening up their décor lunch box to find a big yellow block inside. Or when I find myself excited at the 'ding' of an arriving email, even though it is an email that I have just sent myself, and forgotten in the two second interval.

There is an oddness to the sudden outburst, where it makes me intensely conscious for a moment of my surroundings in a way that I hadn't been previously, engaged as I was in mindless observation of TV, laughter kind of interrupts that internal world - same thing when I go to the movies alone. I don't usually laugh quite so hard as when I have gone with other people. Hence the extraordinary level of humour in 'Little Miss Sunshine' when I was
doubled over in the cinema. Fortunately everyone around me was, so I wasn't the loser in the corner finding the film way more entertaining than everyone else.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice formatting of that post - very poetic. My head was simulating a typewriter.
And whats wrong with a 1kg block of cheese for lunch? Preferably brie of course, but shouldn't waste good brie on the kiddies. Sim.

Anonymous said...

well you know it could be worse, you could be laughing out loud at work, surrounded by random (very quiet) working people. KM

Nerd_safari said...

oops, sorry about the inadvertent moderne poetry that was there for a moment. They say that you can email posts to your blog without a problem, but they lie, they lie.

Well obviously I have no problem consuming a block of cheese, you've seen it happen - but a kilo of bega cheddar?

ah yes, I've that experience, usually in the library when I've been checking my email and suddenly find myself snortling with poorly concealed laughter. I know I'm really in trouble when I start to laugh at academic puns in journal article titles, both embarrassing, and a sign of being way too involved. Shakespeare studies was rife with those.

Vodka, cranberra and soda with lime is really very good isn't it?