Monday, October 15, 2007

a bit o'stuff

So last week when I was watching Oprah - an infrequent event I hasten to add out of a lame sense of elitism - Bill Clinton was on and jointly they were promoting Kiva. This website facilitates loans to businesses in developing countries - something like 98% of them have so far successfully repaid their debts. After the coverage on Oprah and in Clinton's new book they have had to limit the donation limit to $25 because so many people want to give. Such a great idea.

Two and a half weeks before I leave for Philadelphia. Would be heaps good had I finished the paper I have to present - which it turns out is the first morning at the conference, after I arrive at the hotel sometime in the early hours of the morning. Will be interesting to see how much coherence I eke forth after travelling for an incomprehensibly long time, but that is, after all, what adrenaline is for isn't it? Fighting with bears and public speaking. Both clearly vital to the evolutionary advantage.

Thinking of evolution, I bought really, really awful shampoo recently. Purely because it was called 'Natural Selection' and I was taken by the idea of it somehow offering some Darwinian advantage. A thought which I somehow couldn't express to my hairdresser when she was making me feel bad for not buying expensive hair products and attributing my fly-away ends to my poor consumer choices.

I'm listening to the new Radiohead - it's excellent. I want to know what the average price is that people are paying for it (you nominate how much you want to pay, if you had not heard, and it is only available as a download from http://www.radiohead.com/).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how much did you pay for it? I'm not a huge radiohead fan but did hear parts of the album on jjj the other day and was pleasantly surprised. good luck with the bear fighting... :) KM

Anonymous said...

I'm with KM; how much did you pay?! I found it a dilemma, not having bought music as a download before i don't know what's standard. I also haven't heard enough of it to know i wanted to own it at the standard price or not. But i also didn't want to rip off a band that i really like and respect for allowing fans to decide what its worth to them.

Bear fighting???

Nerd_safari said...

I only paid a few pounds; relative to my budget at the moment it's a respectable sum, but I did feel like I was being scroogey, and especially so now as I really like the album. Hence the interest in what the average is, and once you take all the packaging costs and middlemen out of distribution, are they actually making the same amount of money from as they would had I paid the normal cd price? I tell myself they are.