Friday, December 22, 2006

mmm, sun

Very happily got to see the Martin Sharp exhibition in Sydney on Wednesday, it closes this weekend, quite fortunate as a week shorter and I would have missed it. Still remains something of a mystery that Sharp's work doesn't have a greater presence in Australian galleries, but I think that is starting to change.

It was great to spend a couple of days in Sydney again, catching the ferry across the harbour on an absolutely perfect Sydney day reminded me of why I like the place so much, even despite that background thought of 'damn, I forgot the sunscreen AGAIN'. I found it oddly pleasant to be back in the sweaty embrace of a humid Sydney summer. Excellent to see friends and distribute fridge magnets and catch up over assorted beverages, and remind myself of why Pitt Street mall is the Devil's Arena in the week leading up to Christmas. It didn't seem quite as frantic as it usually is at this time of year, but maybe New York has just shifted my definitions of that? Having finished MY Christms shopping in VEGAS, DAYS ago - that's right, DAYS ago, in VEGAS - I was - I felt - quite generous in accompanying other people on their ventures into the fray, even though I always seem to end up buying me more presents... I've now finished buying all my christmas presents, and am buying my birthday presents. Including, finally, High Fidelity, and the Late Show best of, which is long overdue, as I've been quoting that since about 1994.

Stone fruits are another reason to be happy to be back, stood in the grocery store sniffing them like a beagle scenting cocaine. Also, leaves, it is nice to see them again, and quite startling after getting used to not having them around. Except in LA, on one of the most fabulous things I have ever seen: a mobile phone transmitter tower disguised as a giant pine tree. Taking the tack of plastic flowers to enormous new levels by creating an entire fake tree.

Collected my brother this morning and have returned to the Southern Highlands, have graciously acceded to taste test the fruits of Dad's labours on his rotisserie bbq.... can I just say 'aarruuurgh... mmm, good'

No comments: