Wednesday, November 29, 2006

My favourite government department ever...



I like to imagine them, attired in regulation cardigans made from recycled string, supervising government employees to make sure they only take the regulation 3.5 turns when sharpening their pencils.

Although it sounds as though their work might be cut out for them if the newspapers are correct when they report that in the wake of 9/11 the Dept of Homeland Security spent money with abandon, not following official guidelines for contracts, or you know, checking that the product works, before employing it in the nation's security system.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! This is one government dept I wouldn't mind intervening in my life every now and again. Imposing budgetary restraint. Following me around in the supermarket to make sure I select only homebrand products...in their creepy, scratchy string cardigans...on second thoughts...*shudder*
In other news - have you been eating much cheese on your travels? What is the US like for cheese and other delicious dairy products?
Sim.

Anonymous said...

he he he can you really call something that comes in a can 'cheese'? KM

Nerd_safari said...

I have not had much cheese as yet, other than what comes sprinkled on the soft tacos (mmm, soft tacos, so good) or in a sandwich.

I will research further and report back.

I too could use some supervison from the freaky string people.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm already an honorary member of that department. Sim and Gunn, you can hire me for $10/hour to follow you around the shops and make disparaging comments about economics and materialism when I see you reaching for an over-priced and under-needed good. (Discount available for students) I come in a variety of costumes, not just cardigans (although I could wear my woolen cardy for an extra $2/hour).

D is lucky because he gets me discoursing on my newly found love-to-hate relationship with economics at home for free.

I'll cut off there... with great restraint...

Anna.