Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Oslo pt.2

Viking Ship


Oslo, from the Gallery on the peninsular that I can't remember the name of.

Vigelund Sculpture Park


Stave Church, 13th century, Folkmuseet


Norwegian Farm building, Folkmuseet


Viking Ship


As I got to the end of writing what formed the previous post a rather terse message came up and warned me my net time was about to expire, so I had to post without finishing, or, obviously, editing.

My favouritest thing at the Folk Museum was the apartment building from Oslo that was removed from its original site and reconstructed in the museum (brick by numbered brick). They have fitted out each apartment in different period styles with material about the people who lived there - including a very cool 1970s one that was created by the designer and architect who lived there and who recreated it for the museum.

Saturday we went to the National Gallery, so I got to see one of the Skriks - this was the one that was stolen in '94 and they got back a few years ago - there is a real thing for stealing art works in Norway - one of the key Vigeland works was sawn off at the ankle and stolen, and then returned/found. Someone seems to want the key works of Norwegian art very badly. Was great to go around the gallery with someone that had studied Norwegian art, and could also provide a running translation service for me. Then we headed off to a gallery founded by someone's private collection, featuring some excellent contemporary art, including Hirst's Mother and Child Divided - nothing like the experience of going 'awwww cute baby calf... oh and look, there's your innards'. The following day was another gallery day, we headed in suburban Oslo, to find a new commercial gallery that had an exhibition of Damian Hirst, bits of which I really liked, other bits I thought were a bit too slick. Then to another gallery (I would never have found these places if I'd been on my own, v. good to have my personal tour guide!) which I really liked - founded by a couple in the 1970s who have created an absolutely massive gallery for their personal collection (and other temporary exhibitions) on a peninsular overlooking the water (see photo above). Excellently, this is also where my friend's partner is the chef, so we had lunch there - best smoked salmon of anywhere, ever. Apparently we arrived only moments after the Crown Prince left. He and his family had turned up, no security, and had lunch with friends, saying hello to whoever approached them to chat - a bit different from how most Royal families live.

Monday was my final day in Oslo, I spent the morning getting a framing lesson at my friend's place of employment, I now know how mount boards are cut so precisely, a fine thing as that gap in my brain was annoying me. Then I began the trek back to the "Oslo" airport and for some more quality time with Ryanair.

No comments: